Friday 17 May 2013

Progression of work/ Dianne Harrison studio visit


Still keeping in the theme of eccentricity I began exploring different areas so I would have a variety of images and information to work with.  During this time I went on a trip to New York and visited Moma, it was extremely inspirational. I saw iconic pieces of art that affected my view upon this project, drawing from the colours, textures, and movement I saw in the pieces and relating it to my practice. Artists such as Cezanne, Vincent Van Gogh, Pablo Picasso, Andy Warhol, Jackson Pollack, Claude Monet and many more impressionists cubists futurists inspired my project.


In particular a set of technical drawings of circuit boards (Intel corporation) interested me, the eccentric patterns seen in the lines and unusual colour combinations. I did a series of drawings from these, I layered them on different mediums (paper acetate) cut up and re-ordered them and manipulated them on Photoshop.  I experimented with the colours seen in the images through a much less controlled way of using inks and water.   I liked how they looked but I don’t feel I complelty resolved the designs, and didn’t mesh well with the collection.
 


 
 
 
 
 
Another piece that interested me was a geographical drawing of South America, the image combined ridged lines with coloured sections and I felt it worked well with the line drawings I had previously done along with the brightness of graffiti work. Using similar colours I started using marbling and then working back into the images to portray the movement. These ‘experiments’ had similar characteristics to an artist Hundertwasser, his work is very bright and unique. I did a few paintings inspired from his work and altered them through dragging the images across the photocopier; I did this to get a spontaneous unexpected outcome. The finished product was brilliant although, I was struggling to see where designs like the ones I had done would be appropriate in an interior setting.  Encountering this problem forced me to do more research into interiors company’s, I started researching into Cole & Son  as they have a few collections using unusual motifs, and also Alfeild which sell a variety of textures, wall coverings and leather from numerous designers and companies. 


Dianne Harrison visit
The visit to the Dianne Harrison studio was very insightful, especially to see how a studio works and how the members of the design team work together. I was surprised at the amount of interaction between hand processes and computer based designs. There was a lot of mood boards throughout the studio to express themes to the design team, this is similar to what we did in the first stage in groups. Obviously is a very useful way to communicate ideas, and also get ideas from. I think I will start using mood boards to brain storm ideas for projects in the future. 

No comments:

Post a Comment