Friday 17 May 2013

Continuation of work/ Dianne Harrison review

For the last section of my sketchbook I narrowed down the colours seen throughout my designs and picked 3 predominant ones, lime green, bright blue, and pinky/red. All three colours I felt accurately portrayed my initial word eccentricity. Using these colours I began to create textures that included my themes of sporadic movement and fluidity. I used a wide variety of mediums to create the textures some of which are; ink on wet paper, ink on dry paper, layering cling film and ink, sugar salt and bleach with ink, layering inks with acrylic paints, glue, glass paints, oil paints with and without water, pastels, plastics and re-working into images with stich and finally altering some with Photoshop, I also printed some of the designs onto acetate and layered them. After making all of the textures I began combining them with other textures and some with the prints and drawing I had previously done. Most of these combinations didn’t work, as they would either be too much or take away from each other, if I had more time I would have like to continue with this process until my designs were resolved.
At this time I started playing around with the scale of the textures and drawings, changing the scale gave the designs a new feel although some it just didn’t work with.

 

 
                                    
 
 
 
Dianne Harrison review

The Dianne Harrison interm review I felt was very useful to me as Greg gave me ideas on where my designs could be used, for example the shower curtain. I had never thought of using my designs in this context, but in the end is an idea I am using in my final collection. He also gave me reassurance in my work, I was worried it was too bright and inappropriate for interiors, but in the right context he assured me it would be fine.
Useful pointers like printing onto different mediums and continuing with the enlarging process, and mixing designs together also helped me progress my work.

Looking back through my work helped me differentiate between strong designs and the weaker ones. I lined up my favourites and printed them out small scale to see which ones worked well together. I had narrowed it down to seven designs ranging from wall papers, bedding and shower curtains. The collection was too cold, mainly using blues so I created another design using warmer pinks, purples and oranges to balance out the collection.
The 3rd design on the second row is the extra one I added into the collection.

 
 To figure out appropriate scale and use I put my designs into situations and used displacements. I put them into a variety of environments but I felt the collection would work best as a variety of uses, rather than just a wallpaper collection, but as bedding, wall paper and shower curtains.  The collection is bright and playful therefore I felt it would be most appropriate for children’s interiors. My thoughts from the beginning of the project until the point now have drastically changed, they have done so for many reasons. One being exposed to new ideas and uses of my prints (ie shower curtains) and another designing for children (being able to design colourful bold prints).

No comments:

Post a Comment