Sunday 6 November 2011

Task 2- Blog entry- Critical review

The peer assessment was very intimidating at first, but it turned out to be very useful. I was nervous to show my work, because I was worried as to what people would think- or even if they would understand it- due to my lack of organisation.
These insecurities started when we were laying our work out on the tables. I was not feeling very confidant because my sketchbook was not in a book like evryone elses, but rather in a very uninviting pile. I realized at this point how important presentation was.
My project still is not properly organized within a sketchbook, I have not done so because I am not finished creating samples, and drawing. This is a method I have been using for a while, in which I produce all of my drawings, research, and experiments first then organize it all. I work this was so I can clearly see all of the connections and links, but also the flaws and weak areas in my project. This approach also makes me immune to the white page syndrome, which I suffer from ! I find it a lot easier to work outside of a sketchbook so I am not confined within a book, in which I can make mistakes, and regrets in.
Generally this method is very effective for me, however, it is considerably time consuming and almost overwhelming when I have to put an entire sketchbook together. I am thinking that when I have to organize all of my work that I will give myself more time and start the process earlier.

When comparing my project to others I noticed that I was severely lacking in contextual research- that of artists, exhibitions and museums. This is, I think a major part of our projects and its something I need to bulk up on for the assessment. I'm planning on going to several exhibitions, museums, and the library to fix this problem before it is to late.

The experience of having our friends "secretly" assesing our work was very nerve wracking but in the end it turned out rather useful, and helped with my confidance. Someone left me a note in my 'pile' complimtenting me on my wide variety of media and scale I had used while doing my drawings. I was thirlled by this, and my confidance got such a boost off of that. Especially since I had actively made sure I used a lot of different medias and scales so the drawings would not get boring or repetitive.
The idea of using a wide variety of scale is a very important part of my project, because I have focused on something so miniscule (cholera) that to see it - or a portrail of it- on a large scale is almost bazaar, and in someways beautiful. I have tried to use as many medias as possible because each tool weather it be paint or wax reacts differently, especially when mixed together. They also project different emotions and 'vibes'.
This 'mini-assesment' has helped me pinpoint my weaknesses and strengths, it has also helped with my openness (with my work) and confidence levels, although it was rather daunting !

No comments:

Post a Comment